JUST NOT THAT EASY

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Get fit without going broke

(created for http://www.mnmspecial.com/ and published on January 7, 2011)

Everything costs money and that includes loosing weight - health club, workout clothes, every day clothes, DVDs, etc... I remember complaining to a store associate that I have to buy new clothes, because I lost weight. It might be a good problem to have, but it is still a problem that requires financial support. But I hate to spend money. I really do! I don't spend much, but at the end of the month it all adds up, so I try to be creative in any way I can to save a buck or two.

If you really want to loose weight and don't want to spend too much money doing it, here it comes - KEEP YOUR CREDIT CARD OFF THE TABLE!

There are so many cute things you can wear while working out, but all of these things are optional. However, you probably already know that and hopefully only buying sportswear on sale.

Can GYM be replaced?
I canceled my Gym membership after not attending it for a year (I meant to do it, but it became distanation impossible for me). $30 a month come out to $360 a year, so my ultimate decision was to purchase WII + Fit + games. Here is a math: Console and board will cost you just around $300 (unless you can find them on sale). I also bought over the course of year WII Active, WII Active More workouts and few games I wished I didn't buy. I did get a good deal on all games, so even counting in the games I didn't like, I spent just around $100. So my total spending was around $400 and I have my WII for just over a year. Did it pay for itself? I think so.

DVD I get bored with DVD workouts relatively fast and I don't want to piling discs that will contribute to the ultimate dust collection, so I found few ways to save money and shelf space.

Library My library doesn't charge for DVD rent and workout DVDs can be checked out for 21 days.

Amazon on demand
The cost of videos on demand is significantly less than the actual DVDs.
Where great Amazon's deal on DVD is $9, video on demand will be $2

Netflix Here is another use of WII console - there are a lot of workout videos available on Netflix. So many are on instant play and ready to be played. Others can be rented. I upgraded my plan and now I can borrow a DVD and hold it until I am done with it.

Free preview Search for free preview - there might be something available on the World Wide... And if it is, try it before you buy it.

Weights. Creativity just might save you from converting your living room into weight room of the health club (if living space is tight). You might want to look for adjustable weights - they can help you go from 1 to 20 lbs. I also made my own dumbbells from two existing ones I had around the house - I wrapped 2 lb wrist weights over 2 lb dumbbells. You can also use water bottles and fill them to get the right weight (look for the ones that will give you a good grip

Clothes
Second hand stores and friends closets might be good options. Since you are actively trying to loose weight, do you really care to spend hundreds of dollars every couples months? There are upscale resale shops that will give you really good deals on designer labels. I also never say "no" to friends that offer to share the clothes they don't need (especially if they have a good taste)

Food Cut down on trips to the restaurants and buying prepared food. There are lots of ways to make fast and healthy food for the family. I've done $10 meals that would provide 4 lunches for the family of 4 (2 adults and 2 small kids). My best kitchen friends are my slowcooker and a ricecooker. Have few backup meals in the freezer - that will stop you from going to the food chain, because you have nothing to eat in the house

There are so many more ways to save a buck while loosing weight. I don't know all of them, but really would like to learn more. Do you have any ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment